Sunday, April 3, 2011

Caught in the Act…Hopefully

Hi, Friends. Meet Melissa. She is my dear friend from long ago high school days. We used to TP my now husband's house and served as camp counselors for jr. high and high school camps. It is a good thing we had each other or I don't think we would have survived those camp days! Even though she and her family live in Texas, we are still buds and enjoy sharing our mom experiences with each other. She is not a blogger, but God put it on her heart to share with us. Thanks, Melissa!

Caught in the Act…Hopefully
by Melissa D.

At church several weeks ago, the pastor asked a question, “What will Jesus find you doing when he returns?” This has been haunting me in everything I do. Each time I turn to bark orders at my five year old, I pause slightly and think of how it would look if Jesus returned at the exact moment that I lose my cool. (Chances are high that He will return in one of these rapidly reoccurring moments of weakness.)

Then it hit me, He is here…NOW. Seeing everything I do. Even worse; hearing every thought.

I put on a happy “Mom of the Year” face when I pick her up from school or when she shows her strong willed determination when we are out in public. But when it’s just the two…err... three of us, the manic mommy comes out. There's a raised voice, censored four letter words, and some overly exaggerated hand movements. I sure am glad Jesus doesn’t react that way toward His children.

Count to 10…take a deep breath…say a prayer…

Whatever it takes, I’ll be doing it. I hear the same thing from every mom I know. They want to SLOW DOWN, whether it’s to cherish the lost childhood moments or to be more child like with our children. It seems to be the hardest, but most sought after accomplishment.

What will Jesus catch you doing?

“My friends, while you are waiting, you should make certain that the Lord finds you pure, spotless, and living at peace.” 2 Peter 3:14

“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ̴̴ Maya Angelou

(Since my pastor asked this question, I have heard it asked in 2 other messages by 2 additional pastors…Message Received)



Silly+Sassy+Sweet=Elliot

1 comment:

  1. Melisssa,
    I think you are awesome and I am so thankful for you for writing this!
    Hugs,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete